Saturday, December 19, 2009

Hexagon Granny Square Afghan


I lack sewing skills, so a quilt is currently out of the question for my hope chest. But, I still wanted to make a blanket of some kind for this project, so I decided to check out granny squares. My favorite blog that has granny squares on it is Attic24's. All of her afghans are brightly colored and pretty. One of the reasons that many people don't like granny squares is because they remember the old, unattractive colors that they used to be made in. There were reasons for this; people needed to use odds and ends of yarn. However, if made with coordinating colors, granny square afghans can be very attractive. I started one two days ago and it's extremely easy, addictive, and very fun! I can't wait until it's finished.


I'm following Attic24's hexagon pattern, as linked to above, with one small modification-- I misread her directions and did something different in my first hexagon, then decided I didn't feel like remaking that first one and just continued to make them all that same way. Attic24 is a genius for how she weaves in the ends of different colors by crocheting them in, and you join all of the hexagons together by crocheting them together as you go, which makes for a stronger finished product and less work later on.


So far, I've made eight hexagons-- one the first day, since I started it at night, six yesterday, and one so far today. I'm making it all with cotton yarn, so it's not only going to be extremely pretty, but also is going to be made with all natural fiber. I chose cotton over wool because a.) it was what Attic24 uses, and b.) because it won't be itchy and will be far easier to wash. So far, I really love working on it! I wonder how many hexagons I'll need in total....

1 comment:

  1. I just found Attic 24's blog a few days ago and was thrilled to find your blog as well. Keep blogging and I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete